Saturday, January 30, 2010

Diaper Cakes

So I have never made a diaper cake before, but I had gotten one at Sydney's baby shower and thought it was so fun....so I just had to try it. I had 2 boy baby gifts I had to do, so I headed out to Target because they have super cute generic blue and green bubble diapers. How perfect they were for diaper cake making.
If you have never made a diaper cake before they are pretty easy. The first cake I made I used about 60 diapers (the second one was less because I ran out and had to improvise). You roll each diaper up tightly and smack a piece of tape on it. I put about 5-6 together to make a bundle and taped all around the outside of that. Then I added a ring of diapers around that bundle and taped it all secure, and then another ring of diapers with tape around it. That makes up the bottom tier of the cake. So for the next tier you would start again with a bundle of about 5-6 and then make one ring of diaper around that. And for the top tier you make one more 5-6 diaper bundle. You use a wide ribbon around each cake tier to hide the tape. I used a wooden dowl down the center to keep the tiers together. I added a little stuffed toy as a cake topper. I also added some pacifiers and pacifier clips, but you can put whatever you want on it to decorate. It look me less then an hour to do it, so it was pretty easy.

1 comment:

Princess Gerty said...

So cute! Nice work Audrey!