Friday, October 22, 2010

Going Green

After a "guilt trip" from my friend Kelli...we have decided to start recycling. The trash company around here does not offer recycling, but a local family does ( I just found this out the other day). For $10 a month they provide bins and will come and pick up paper, plastic and metal. We just got our bins the other day! Pretty exciting stuff.
Not only are we doing that, but if you know anything about us, you know that we love using paper plates and cups. We'll we are also working on that as well. I bought some new (non disposable) plastic cups and plates and we are saying good-bye to the paper products.
I also have purchased a few reusable grocery bags, but every time I go to the store I forget them in my car. O-well, that'll give me something to work on.
There you go Kelli, your blog posts have inspired me, so it wasn't for nothing.

8 comments:

Andrea said...

You can replace your papertowels with dishtowels, too!! I can't believe that your trash company doesn't provide recycling. Our recycle bin is the same size as our outside trash can and we have 2 trash cans in our kitchen--the bigger one is for recycling. You'll be amazed at how much of your trash is recyclable. Get your kids in on it--they have been our best motivators!

Kelli said...

hehehe. Sorry about the guilt trip. But, I am so proud of you. wahooo!

Saskia said...

That's so great! Pretty soon you'll feel weird throwing anything into your regular trash bin. Next stop: a clothesline. Or a compost. The possibilities are endless! :)

Amara said...

Never a clothesline for me. I did that on my mission. Not good. Of course everyone burned their trash there so our clothes always smelled like trash fire. Yuck. It's hard to think about. The dish towel thing works too. All of mine are pretty stained now, but who cares (except my mother-in-law). A lot of the time I just tell them no bags now even if I forgot mine. I figure I do it at Sam's so why not?

Chiadeb said...

So glad I won't have to drink out of a paper cup when I come to your house anymore. I agree with Andrea--get rid of the paper towels too! And you should get on your lawmakers--I can't believe you don't have recycling. What is wrong with those Mormons out there; don't they want to save mother Earth?

Jacobson Five said...

Yeah sorry, not quite ready to cut down on our paper towel usage right now. I don't mind using dish towels to clean up messes. But the kids faces I have issues with. Ain't gonna happen. Folks, I feel like I'm good right now...baby steps.

Travis and Megan Liston said...

Way to go Audrey! I have to say that I'm impressed with your pumpkins from your backyard. They look great! And your pictures of your family are so cute, as always! -Megan

Princess Gerty said...

Way to go! I put the shopping bags in my van, right by the car seat, so I usually remember when I am getting the baby out. When I don't, I try to use as little as possible, or stuff things into my diaper bag. Good luck! Don't give up! You'll start to remember.