Thursday, September 16, 2010

I've Been Sewing!

Most of you have probably already seen these pictures on Facebook, but I decided to put them on my blog for those who are not Facebookers and for my own "journal" purposes. Up until a month ago I was not a sewer. Although I owned a sewing machine, I had never sewed anything with a pattern (since high school home ec.). For Halloween we decided as a fam to do the Super Mario Brothers theme. I found all of the costumes online except Princess Daisy (for Sydney). So I decided to attempt making it. Here are the results.

I was pretty proud of myself. I made a few adjustments from the pattern with the lace, collar, flower applique and the peplum. I gathered and sewed a zipper.

Well if I could make a princess dress, then I could make a simple little jumper dress for Sydney. This dress even involved button holes, which I must say, I still need some help with. I got a little better with this applique, but again could still use some help.

So as I said earlier, I ordered all my other Halloween costumes online. Well shortly after I got an email saying my Princess peach costume was backordered till right before Halloween. I didn't want to worry, so I canceled the order and made my own.

I still have a few adjustments to do to make it truely Princess Peach. I know it looks like a 1980's bridemaid dress, but again I am just amazed I was able to do it.
We are going to Disneyland in November, so I thought now that I can sew I need to make Sydney a Snow White dress (she's my favorite princess). You can't see it from here, but there is a red cape in the back that can come off.

Well, that is all so far. I ordered Kevin a Yoshi costume for Halloween and when it arrived it was way to small for him, so i have decided to attempt that. All the materials are purchased, now I just need a husband here to make sure it fits as I sew. Sounds like a fun project for the weekend. Pictures to come...

6 comments:

a said...

You are "sew" awesome! (c: Good Job Audrey!

Kelli said...

you are sew awesome.
You could have borrowed one of my 1980's bridesmaid dresses that is hidden in the back of the closet. but yours is cuter!

Amara said...

How come Snow White is your favorite princess? You ought to do a post on that. Amazing. Maybe I'll try to figure out the sewing thing now. You're sew cool.

Hoffmann Family said...

Yeah for Audrey! You're a sewer! I love all of your creations! Great job!

Travis and Megan Liston said...

Audrey, you are so talented! Yes, I know that you had a Harry Potter themed birthday party for Tanner, and I was blown away, and very impressed. Ours was fun, but no one has asked me yet to be their party planner:). My parents moved to Manti last summer (09). They love it. I really would love to see you again, and the next time I'm in Utah, it would be great to hang out. And the next time you're in Washington, please call me (we need a Disneyland over here:)). I hope you're all doing well.
-Megan

Jana Sohm said...

I just commented on your Mario party post. Please look at my comment. Thanks!